I recently read a post at The Book Designer where Toni, from Duolit, wrote a fantastic post. The whole article is great, but it’s one point that caught my eye. It was to do with collaboration, and how writers should DO IT.
In this day and age, especially if you self-publish, a writer is a business. We don’t only write, but publish, promote, sell, and grow. Therefore it’s easy to have a cold hearted outlook.
After all, the traditional business is liken to Frankenstein walking down the street saying, “Must Kill All Competitors” (in that slow creepy Frankenstein voice).
I say NO, this isn’t needed. Sure, we have to compete and be ruthless, every now and again, but for the most part, we can love and collaborate with our fellow pen scratchers.
In my next post I’m going to share some ways you can collaborate with fellow writers, but today I want to focus on the reasons why you SHOULD. Here we go…28 reasons why writers should collaborate. Get ready to have your mind blown!
- You make new friends
- You learn new ideas
- You are introduced to a whole new audience
- It’s FREE (for the most part)
- It’s modern and savvy
- It makes you feel all fuzzy on the inside
- It can be an extra source of revenue
- Life’s too short to always fight
- You are introduced to a whole new perspective
- You broaden your horizons
- It helps build authority
- You develop new skills
- You can focus on your core strengths
- You get to avoid the aspects you hate
- You share the workload
- You share the joy
- It breeds creativity
- It opens up new doors
- You get to work with your idols and peers
- It keep you up to speed with new trends
- It helps you stay relevant in an ever growing world
- You never know who will hit the ‘Big Time’
- It helps you engage with your readers, and indeed, someone else’s, too
- Your reach increases
- It can help build confidence
- It provides more value to your readers
- It opens up opportunities for the future
- It adds another ally to your list, which is never a bad thing
How you collaborate can come in many forms, and that’s what the next post will focus on.
But what about the 28 reasons above?
Do you agree with them, and more importantly, can you add to the list?
Please share your ideas below…in the comments…that’s what it’s there for.
Turndog Millionaire @turndog_million