Welcome to TURNDOG TALKS TO: the time of the week where I interview people with a story to share.
Today’s top guest is a young man who set up his business at fourteen years of age. Fraser Doherty, founder of SuperJam, took his Grandmother’s secret recipe and built a business on tasty jam. I was lucky to speak to Fraser about adversity and mistakes and coming through on top, and you guessed it, it’s all in aid of The Successful Mistake.
Make sure you immerse yourself in this top interview and learn from a young man with a great future ahead of him.
THE BIOFraser Doherty, now 24, set up SuperJam at 14, using his Gran’s jam recipes. After selling his produce at farmers’ markets and to delicatessens, he developed a method of producing jam 100% from fruit. After setting up production, creating a brand and perfecting his recipes, Fraser became the youngest ever supplier to a major supermarket chain when Waitrose launched the range in March 2007. SuperJam now supplies over 2,000 supermarkets around the world (incl. Tesco, Asda Wal-Mart, Morrisons, Sainsbury’s, Waitrose) in countries including Australia, Russia, Denmark, Finland and Ireland.
The Interview Overview
- We discuss what it was like being a 14 year old and creating a brand from nothing
- Fraser talks about the 2 year process of getting the packaging just right, but how everything didn’t go according to plan
- He had big meetings with large distributors, but the message he spent two years working on didn’t come across
- We discuss how he felt having to go back to the drawing board as a sixteen year old and how he turned things around
- Fraser recalls the time, how it hurt his ego, but how in hindsight it helped him get the brand in stores and grow as quickly as it has done
- The lessons learned during this time set his entire world in motion, and although tough, he talks about how it helped him grow, manage, and learn what’s needed to succeed.
Thanks for dropping by and joining us for this marvelous edition of Turndog Talks To
Have a most lovely day,
Turndog – @turndog_million